Modern internet user has an average of 8.5 social media accounts. However, big and small companies prefer to spend a budget on Instagram and Facebook marketing.
If you wonder why it happens, and why you should focus your advertising efforts on these two social media platforms, just keep reading.
Here are the top five reasons why Instagram and Facebook are worth your advertising investment.
- Opportunity to Reach a Wider Audience
According to Statista, the most popular social media websites have such numbers of monthly active users:
- Facebook – 2.37 billion
- Instagram – 1 billion
- Tik Tok – 500 million
- Twitter – 330 million
- LinkedIn – 310 million
- Snapchat – 294 million
- Pinterest – 265 million
The logic is simple. Since Facebook and Instagram attract more users than other platforms, they also attract more advertising investment.
If a company targets a small niche audience, it chooses Facebook and Instagram. Why? Using these platforms, the brand has higher chances to reach more prospective customers.
Let’s say the company sells supplies and accessories for iguanas and chameleons. How many people are interested in buying such products? Well, people adopt iguanas much less often than they adopt cats and dogs.
We can presuppose that only one in 40,000 users can be considered as a prospective buyer. We can calculate that if the company chooses Facebook, it will get a chance to reach 59,250 prospects; if it uses Instagram – it will reach 25,000 prospects; if it chooses Pinterest – it will reach only 6,625 iguana owners.
As you can see, the difference between the choices is huge. So it’s not a big surprise that big and small companies invest more money in Facebook and Instagram marketing.
- Peculiarities of Demographics
Do you want to understand why companies prefer to spend more money on Facebook and Instagram marketing? Take a look at the demographics of social media and at the age of the users in particular:
- Facebook and Instagram are highly popular among young adults between the ages of 18 and 29.
- LinkedIn is most popular among users between the ages of 30 and 49.
- The median age of a Pinterest user is 40.
- What about Twitter, 63% of its users is between 35-65 years old.
As you can see, Facebook and Instagram are the most popular social media platforms among Generation Z and Millennials. And that makes a great difference when it comes to advertising investment.
A recent study shows that social media sites have surpassed Google as the go-to product research channel for Generation Z. Also, statistics show that younger generations use Instagram and Facebook to discover new products and interact with brands in twice more actively than Generation X and Baby Boomers.
- Powerful Facebook Ad Targeting
Marketers choose Facebook over other social media platforms because it provides tons of targeting options besides demographics:
- Facebook allows marketers to target users by country, state, and even zip code. Besides, it allows targeting customers by the place where they work or live.
- Marketers can choose the specific interests of the target audience. For example, if a company sells vegan food, an ad can be targeted at Facebook users who have liked vegan food pages, vegan cookbooks, posts published by vegan influencers, etc.
- By using the Facebook Pixel (a piece of code that tracks user behavior at the company’s website), it’s possible to show ads to users who behave in certain ways. For instance, Facebook can show the ad to shoppers who have recently added a product to the shopping cart but haven’t completed the checkout process.
- Facebook also allows marketers to target users who have commented, liked, or followed the company’s business account on Facebook or Instagram.
- Partner Connections. This method allows companies to show ads to users who behave in a specific way on sites others than social media. For example, a property rental business can target users who have recently booked flights on the airline website.
- Automatic Optimization. There is an option that allows marketers to choose the target audience automatically.
There is no other social media platform that can provide the same targeting options. That is why if marketers want to target a small niche audience, they consider Facebook as the only reasonable choice.
- Instagram Set a High Pace of Innovation
Now let’s talk about Instagram.
As for the summer of 2019, ad spend on Instagram was growing at four times the rate of ad spend on Facebook ads. It was announced that brands’ investment in Instagram ads spend increased by 177%, while investment in Facebook ads increased only by 40%.
So why do marketers rely on Instagram marketing that much?
The point is that Instagram is the most innovative social media platform. It introduces new features for users and provides new unique advertising opportunities for businesses on a regular basis.
And Stories is one of those key innovative features that allow Instagram to suppress Facebook. Instagram Stories has increased the amount of time spent on the app to more than 28 minutes, and that’s a fantastic result!
Today, more than 400 million users watch Instagram Stories daily. And it’s expected that in the coming year people will watch Stories more often than check out feed posts.
So it’s not a big surprise that companies prefer to invest in Instagram Stories ads. They understand that that’s a simple way to get the most of their marketing dollars. And taking into account that one-third of the most-viewed Instagram Stories come from business accounts, we can conclude that brands do everything right.
sources: https://www.instagram.com/dsw/ and https://www.instagram.com/sugarbearhair/
- High Engagement from Organic Posts on Instagram
So what is the best thing about Instagram? Instagram helps to engage customers more than other social media platforms.
Multiple studies show that business accounts on Instagram generate higher rates of user engagement compared to those on Facebook, especially in fashion and beauty niches. And surprisingly, Instagram users tend to be more receptive to advertising and less likely to respond negatively to sponsored posts and Stories.
As a rule, images posted on Instagram get an average of 23% more engagement than the same images published on Facebook. And brands understand that. Using content planning solutions and other tools, they create high-quality Instagram posts to increase engagement organically.
In other words, when it comes to Instagram marketing, brands heavily invest not only in ads but also in content production. And that helps them to achieve not only short-term goals but also long-term ones.
Image source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4vk-nUADDN/
The Bottom Line
Instagram and Facebook attract more advertising investment because they work more effectively than other social networks. That’s true.
But it doesn’t mean that you should use only these two platforms to promote your products. Your brand is unique. And it may happen that advertising strategies that work for the vast majority of companies will not work for you.
So you should analyze your strategy in detail and choose social media sites that suit your brand the most.
Donald Fomby is a Spanish translation service expert at PickWriters. Writing has become his passion since college so, in addition to being a translator, Donald works as a freelance writer.