Digital Marketing is marketing done on digital platforms such as search engines, websites, emails and mobile apps. It is an efficiently targeted, conversion oriented and interactive marketing of products and services by optimally utilizing digital platforms to acquire customers. The scope of digital marketing is not limited to advertising. It also includes Acquiring new customers and sustaining the current customers. The reason why digital marketing is a topic of discussion is the statistics behind the same:
- 81% of shoppers conduct online research before making big purchases. (Retailing Today, 2014)
- 65% of smartphone users agree that when conducting a search on their smartphones, they look for the most relevant information regardless of the company providing the information. (Google, 2015)
- 51% of smartphone users have discovered a new company or product when conducting a search on their smartphone. (Google, 2015)
- 61% of marketers say improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot, 2017)
Components of Digital marketing
Digital Marketing is known to be an umbrella under which all the aspects of online marketing activities are covered. Following are the most common types of marketing activities under digital marketing:
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search engine optimization is a process of utilizing all the available resources in order to optimize the overall performance of a website. Through SEO, a company can improve the quality of the content on its website, increase the reachability, attain higher user engagement, etc. For example, Amazon generating content to be on top of the search engines is a type of SEO. According to statistics, 67% of the clicks come from the first five listings of a search page. This clearly states how important it is for companies to use SEO.
Pay Per Click (PPC)
Pay per Click is when a company bids for a certain keywords and optimizes its website accordingly to be on the top of the search results page. The companies pay the search engines every time someone clicks on the websites link. In the process, the search engines look at three aspects before putting them on the top of the list in their search results page:
- The amount of money the company is bidding
- How relevant the keyword is with the website and its products
- How optimized is the landing page of the website
Content Marketing is a process of creating relevant content to acquire new customers. The content must be valuable to the customers and consistent in quality. It is a key tool for SEO and helps the website to get noticed on social platforms. Good Content should not be promotional but educational and inspirational so that the user can see the website as a source of information.
Mobile marketing refers to advertising/selling the products and services to potential or existing customers through text messages on their mobile phones. This is one of the most direct ways of marketing as the response time from customers via smartphone is highest. 97% of all the text messages are read within 4 minutes of being sent. The companies acquire new customers every day by offering them discounts on its products through text messages.
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing refers to the process of interacting with customers through social media platforms. Companies advertise, sell, and assist customers on social media for numerous reasons:
- Creating brand awareness for free
- To get feedback directly from customers
- Get more traffic on website and improve SEO rating
- Acquire new customer and expand sales
- Marginally low marketing cost
- 47% of all internet users are on Facebook
- 88% of product purchases are Pinterest pinned
Email marketing is a form of marketing that enables companies to communicate potential/current customers through electronic mails. The process includes:
- Sending emails to current customers to enhance relationship with them for brand loyalty
- To acquire new customers or to convince the current one to purchase
- Advertising through mail
The key benefits of email marketing include cost effectiveness, flexibility and better rate of success. The content must be relevant and useful to the user, should look authentic and strategic and well-coordinated.
Marketing Automation is a tool that keeps all your digital marketing activities together and synchronizes them for efficient and effective business. It also measures the performance and ROI for faster growth. Automation gives direction to the company by providing it data that shows the area of improvement and ways to improve it. In other words it enables the company to know what it is doing and whether is it feasible or not.
Digital marketing has become a milestone in this ever changing digital world and has replaced traditional ways of marketing to some extent by offering a variety of marketing tools that are very cost efficient compared to the old marketing techniques. It enables better interactions with customers, resilient marketing and better customer relation, rapid growth in sales and overall effective development of business. Needless to say, Digital Marketing may just be named as Marketing.