Google is a giant system, and under it, there are a vast number of services using which businesses can achieve their various purposes. One of the major services that Google provides is Google Ads. It gives a platform to every type of business to run their marketing and advertising campaigns using the budget that is available to them.
The most important aspect of Google Ads is that it can show you exactly where and how your marketing budget has been spent. In addition, it shows the minute-to-major matrix of your ad campaign’s performance.
The interesting fact is that, using Google’s Pay-Per-Click (PPC) model, you can wisely plan your campaigns to maximize the outcomes as well as make better use of the technology and data that are available. There are Google Partner companies that provide specialized and focused services to get you the most value for money from your online ads.
Booster Box is a Google Premier Partner for 2022. It is one of the top companies in its country, and it has fulfilled all of the partner criteria. The agency is one of the passionate performance marketing agencies that facilitate focused and effective PPC advertising campaigns. It aims to “Make Smart Smarter” through its well-planned online advertising campaigns.
In an interview with Booster Box’s Gianluca Binelli (Founder and Managing Director), we discussed his digital marketing agency’s journey and its enthusiastic approach towards running clients’ PPC campaigns.
Below are the interview highlights:
Please brief our audience about your company, its USPs, and how it is currently positioned as one of the reliable firms in its niche market.
Booster Box is a scientific performance marketing agency. This is just a complex way of saying we use a data-driven approach to run wildly successful international campaigns that are helping our clients reach their ROI goals. Everything we do is strongly rooted in numbers, and we focus on technology and automation to maintain efficiency and quality while scaling fast.
What are the core values upon which your company is built?
The three core values at Booster Box are:
- Dataism: Our religion is data. Relying heavily on data is something that permeates every single aspect of our company: we use data to make any single decision within the company, from choosing the coffee brand for the mini kitchen to calculating how much we should invest in a certain channel.
- Ownership: Every single person working at Booster Box is the owner of his/her specific project. In a nutshell, we believe that with great power comes great responsibility, but also the opposite. So, we try to give everyone working at Booster Box a lot of responsibility in order to unleash their intellectual power. At the agency level, ownership means considering ourselves not just an external partner for our clients but an integral part of their growth.
- Automation: We are lazy, we have automated most of the boring bits so we can focus on the fun part: driving impact. Life is already too short to spend hours and hours improving campaigns one keyword at a time or pulling data into a report. This is why we turned to build our own scripts and technology to do things for us, which means more hours to look at the bigger picture and focus on what matters.
Tell us more about your company’s offerings and what aspects make it stand out in the competitive market.
Our core services are performance marketing (paid search and paid social media), SEO, and MarTech (tracking and analytics). As our payoff goes, “We Make Smart Smarter”: we are focused on automation to increase the efficiency of campaign building and budget allocation. We use machine learning to our advantage and build on top of it with an arsenal of scripts and tools.
We leverage data to optimize for new objectives and we create innovative attribution models.
We are driven by our vision: we want to build Silicon Tuscany, ditching the tradeoff between location and impact. From the border of the empire, we strive for excellence in building international campaigns. In five and a half years, against all bets, we have kick-started a technology bubble in the middle of the Tuscan hills. In 2019, we were recognized as the Best Small PPC Agency in Europe.
Please brief us about your journey in the industry and how you have contributed to the success of the company.
I am Gianluca Binelli, Founder and Managing Director of Booster Box, a scientific performance marketing agency. Prior to Booster Box, I spent six and a half years at Google in Dublin, NYC, and London. I managed online marketing for Google’s products in EMEA and I am an advisor for CapitalG, Alphabet’s Independent Growth Fund.
Being an experienced leader, share your opinion on how the adoption of modern technologies like AI and ML has impacted the marketing industry and how is your company riding the technology wave?
Since the inception of Booster Box, we have focused on building tools and tech to better leverage internal and external data to serve more relevant ads to users. The recent advancements in machine learning and artificial intelligence have only accelerated a long-term trend that provides marketers with more capability to do things that only a few years ago were not possible.
The real question is: how do you stand out in a world that is machine learning-dominated, where algorithms are leveling the playing field? We think the solution lies in making smarter decisions based on GDPR-friendly first-party data. Leveraging AI to feed algorithms is a competitive advantage at the company or agency level. We see a future where the secret sauce is no more the algorithm itself but the data we are feeding it with, which needs to be more accurate and sophisticated.
Considering the current pandemic, what initial challenges did you face, and how did you drive your company to sustain operations while ensuring the safety of your employees?
At Booster Box, we took the virus very seriously from the beginning, preferring a “safe is better than sorry” approach from day 1. I guess all those zombie movies that I have watched finally helped me make the right call.
I prepared an emergency plan after the virus was confirmed in China. As soon as Patient 1 was found in Italy, we activated it. We stopped traveling and events. We closed both offices (Milan and Tuscany) and immediately set everyone to work from home.
We started going back to the office in spring 2021 when restrictions eased in Italy, and we officially opened our brand-new HQ in Pietrasanta in May 2021. In October 2021, we also reopened our Milan office in a different, much cooler location!
What would be your advice to budding entrepreneurs who aspire to venture into the industry?
Fall in love with the methodology and not the idea. “Speed is of the essence” is probably an understatement: in this industry, changes are constantly happening, and success strictly correlates with the ability to keep innovating in an ever-changing environment.
The real secret for scalability is not being too affectionate to an idea or product—otherwise, you will get stuck with it—but rather being in love with the methodology and adapting it to whatever the industry throws at you.
How do you envision scaling your company’s operations and offerings in 2022 and beyond?
We have two big work areas for 2022: the first one is better measurement, which entails incrementality and privacy, and other fun things. The second element is CRM integration with advertising platforms.
The secret to moving with machine learning and not against it is to feed it better data. That is why we believe that companies with better data will eventually have an incremental advantage over competitors.
– Nominated as the Best Small PPC Agency in Europe in 2019.
– Gianluca was nominated as the 10th most influential PPC expert by PPC Hero in 2021.
– According to the Financial Times, Booster Box is the 125th fastest growing company in Europe.
– Booster Box team has been invited to speak at the European Commission and at the main industry conferences.
– Booster Box is certified as one of Google’s International Growth Agencies and Digital Champions.
What Clients are Saying:
“Booster Box has been a key player in Taboola’s growth since we started working together back in 2016.”
- Elad Efrima – Director of Acquisition at Taboola
“We call [Booster Box] Subito Tuscany as it is a natural extension of our in-house digital acquisition team.”
- Alessio Forte – Head of User Acquisition at Subito
“Booster Box is one of the best digital marketing partners I’ve ever worked with. They’ve helped optimize our digital investment and scaled results by using the most advanced tech stack available.”
- Riccardo Zilli – Online Marketing Manager